A younger man who grew to become hooked on painkillers after being prescribed them for a nasty again was discovered lifeless at a good friend’s home after taking an overdose, an inquest heard.
James Thornton-Chan, 22, died at a home on Stockport Highway in Manchester on July 14, 2019.
A toxicology report discovered the presence of dihydrocodeine in his system ‘at a stage which might clarify his demise’.
Mr Thornton-Chan, who was born within the Excessive Peak in Derbyshire, was prescribed codeine after complaining of again ache.
He attended his GP observe in Bramhall in July 2018 and instructed a physician he had taken quite a lot of codeine tablets over the earlier 24 hours because of the ache he was struggling.
In January 2019 he admitted to a physician that he was hooked on codeine and had been attempting to scale back his use of the drug with the assistance of his mother and father.
The inquest, held at Manchester coroners’ court docket on Friday, heard that James additionally suffered from nervousness and melancholy and was prescribed anti-anxiety treatment.
In Might 2019, after being seen by a psychiatrist on the Priory hospital in Altrincham, James was admitted to the Rhodes clinic, an habit therapy centre in London.
In a press release James’s mum Susan Thornton-Chan described her son as somebody with a broad and deep information of a number of topics who loved a dialogue ‘about virtually something’.
He practised judo and ju-jitsu, was a eager badminton and desk tennis participant and had an curiosity in Oriental tradition, historical past, politics and present affairs.
Within the days earlier than his demise he was described as being in ‘good spirits’, was mentioned to be trying ahead to a visit to Hong Kong to go to relations and had deliberate a barbecue and movie evening along with his household.
In a press release good friend Mujtaba Baig instructed the inquest he had had spent the night of July 13, 2019 with Mr Thornton-Chan.
That they had been to good friend’s home to document a music video earlier than returning to Mr Baig’s home the place James fell asleep in a chair in the lounge.
The next morning Mr Baig tried to evoke his good friend however was unable to.
An ambulance was referred to as and Mr Thornton-Chan was later pronounced lifeless.
Mr Baig added that over the course of the evening he did not witness Mr Thornton-Chan taking any treatment.
Coroner Zak Golombeck recorded a conclusion that Mr Thornton-Chan’s demise was ‘drug-related’.
He mentioned: “Bearing in mind the historical past of codeine use and habit and likewise the historical past of melancholy I have to take into account whether or not James took his personal life and supposed to take action.
“Nevertheless after I take into account all the proof I’m not glad, on the stability of chance, that James took his personal life and supposed to take action.
“There may be merely inadequate proof.
“Due to this fact I can’t return a conclusion of suicide, I have to return a conclusion of this being a drug-related demise.”